Laura created this lovely set of runes as a winter solstice gift. We had been chatting about divination. I revealed that although I fancied myself as having a knack for the tarot, I hadn’t ever managed to get a grasp on the runes. That didn’t mean that I wouldn’t eventually give it future shot, though. Being a beautiful spirit, Laura burned these runes into wooden discs, and presented a copy of Ralph Blum’s “The Book of Runes” along with the runes to me. I am one grinning cat.
Some time ago, in a Sew Somerset mag, a writer penned a piece on an artist who used images of African – American women in her work. If you have “borrowed” vintage photos of African-American images in your artwork, then you may have had the same thought as I; Why are these pictures so tough to find? Am I looking in the wrong places?
Had it not been for that photo image of an African-American woman, the rag would have ended up in the trash.
Last weekend, I was in the mood to alter the cover of a composition book. I didn’t want to spend weeks doing it, though. My criteria ran: (a) quick and dirty (b) Autumn-themed because that’s my favorite season. (c) Witchy. Nothing says allure like “witch.” Yep. I decided to use that photo in an altered composition book cover.
Enter the quick and dirty method.
In this method (a.k.a. no original artwork here), I glued pattern paper on to the cover of the composition book. I then snipped and glued the photo from the mag on to the “new” cover. Next came the washi tape and leaf stickers. Finally, I sealed the cover with modge podge. Modge Podge works greatly on light colored paper, giving a nice, clear finish.. In this case, though, the white stuff dried to a film that muted and dulled the colors. The book will serve as a planner/journal, nonetheless. Finally, I added a scribble here and there with a white gel pen.